Sony DRM

Wednesday, November 2, 2005
I read some interesting articles this morning about DRM. It seems that Sony has surpassed Microsoft as provider of the most invasive technology pundit.

Here’s the article I found on engadget.com. A couple other links are here and here.

What I got out of it is that Sony has created this horrible, overbearing DRM on new music CD’s for the sole purpose of coercing Apple to allow other programs to connect to the iPod. And, while doing so, Sony hopes to make Apple look like the “bad guy,” by their ploy to get users to contact Apple about the problem (the problem that iTunes and the iPod are proprietary).

But, this doesn’t really make sense to me. What does Sony have to gain from it? Perhaps they are really trying to get iTunes to connect to other devices, for instance the Sony NW-HD3? I’m not really sure of their intent, but I am sure that I won’t be ordering any CD’s with DRM on it.        
Older Post Home Newer Post