Sony DRM, part II

Wednesday, November 2, 2005
I’ve been thinking about Sony’s new DRM a bit this morning. I think it’s unfortunate that Sony’s leadership has given up on new ideas and instead they are crying foul for those who are still innovating. Why do I say that, you might ask?

Instead of creating a music player that looks better, plays longer, holds more songs, provides more features than the iPod (whichever model), and instead of creating their own music player (or working with, updating an existing company’s product), they are spending resources annoying users and losing customers.

I’m not saying that I have a design for “a better iPod.” And, I’m definitely not saying that it would be easy! That’s hardly the case. What I am saying that instead of pissing off (and losing) customers by introducing garbage like this DRM solution, they should be doing everything they can to add value to their existing products and come up with new features that everyone “just has to have.”

Who knows; if Sony had focused their efforts on beating Apple we may have seen the recent release of the Sony Nano, instead of the iPod Nano. The potential is limitless!
Older Post Home Newer Post